Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Week 3 of Marathon Training

Monday: Planned easy 6 Reality: easy 6!

Tuesday: rest Reality: rested

Wednesday: 6 Tempo Reality: I ran about 7 miles, but they were hard! The humidity was killing me and it wasn’t easy to keep a tempo pace. My shorts were wringing wet.

Thursday: Easy 6 Reality: Five and change with the Abster. Pace was decent.

Friday: cross Reality: Drank too many beers after work and went to bed destroyed from the work week.

Saturday: 13 miler Reality: This run sucked and I don’t know why. When I got about six miles from home I seriously wanted to cry. My legs weren’t hurting, I just had a sort of all over body tiredness. It wasn´t a hangover either. Just a weird sort of burn out. It was cloudy and super windy, so I can’t even blame the heat. Culprit: lack of sleep throughout the week, I think. Please tell me what you think! Have you had failed runs like this, where you just sort of turn off?

Sunday: long bike ride with Charles Reality: Charles went to visit his grandmother and I went to the beach. Cross-training was a 20-minute swim in the very clean, but freezing cold sea!

Week 4 Plan:

This won’t be easy because I’m traveling to Venice for work, but I’ll hope for the best.

Monday: easy 6.

Tuesday: 6

Wednesday: Venice, probably 0

Thursday: Venice, probably 0

Friday: Return from Venice and try for a 10 miler in the afternoon

Saturday: 15 mile hike with friends.

Sunday: easy 10

2 comments:

  1. I hope you get to enjoy Venice. I keep meaning to go back, but it hasn't happened yet. Good luck with the training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it won't hurt you to not run in Venice. I hope you're able to enjoy the trip!

    I've definitely had bad runs like the one you described. So much can impact any given run - hydration, nutrition, sleep, emotional well-being. It sounds like you were running on empty when you got to this run and that might have had an impact. Do you have a running mantra that you can repeat to yourself in your head when things get tough? I try doing that or slowing the pace down a bit for a mile or so.

    ReplyDelete