Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Shoe Review

Anyone who’s ever run a mile in Barcelona knows that Domingo Catalan, owner of Atleta’s shop and world champion in the 100 km, is a running sage. Domingo—who loves cats and New York City, but loathes George Bush—is both wise and witty. He will not allow you to request a specific brand or size of shoe. “Brands and sizes don’t matter!” he yells as he takes a look at your feet. He brings out four or five pairs of shoes, all different sizes and brands and you (obediently and gratefully) try them all on, even if they look too small or way too big.

Last week, my visit made Domingo uneasy. First of all, he was dismayed that such a pretty girl (the man knows how to charm the lady runner) could have such ugly toes. “I’m concerned about those nasty nails,” he said. “And I’m sure your husband is as well.” Secondly, Domingo was running low on women’s shoes. My next-door neighbor, Lourdes, is NYC-marathon-bound and she had just gotten the last pair of Mizunos in our size so Domingo came out with some men’s shoes, the Saucony Progrid Jazz 13. I gave him so lip about the fact that maybe men’s shoes would be too wide for my narrow heels, but he told me that these would be perfect and, of course, they are! After three pairs of Asics 1100s, it turns out that a neutral shoe made for a small man feels great—at once light and cushiony. Also, these guys are bright red with black laces so I feel really cool and tough in them!

At first, the arch felt too flat. Perhaps I was missing that snug arch support you get in the Asics, but after a few runs it seems that the Sauconys have formed to my foot. My toes have lots of wiggle room and so far my knees and ankles feel fine and dandy.

Have any other women tried wearing men’s shoes? Have you switched from stability to neutral shoes?

8 comments:

  1. where is this store? i need some new shoes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I do not know these, but I have switched from stability to racing shoes, and even though the difference may have been psychological, it felt as though I was flying. Needless to say, after an entire summer of running in neutral shoes, my archs, started giving me some trouble. I stuck it out for a bit, but switched back to stability and soon my feet were back to normal. I run in Karhus, and I love them....have you tried on a pair?

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay that store sounds awesome. congrats on the new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maite, the store is on Calle de la Bordeta, right near Pl España. (See the link in my post?) Go--you'll have fun, I promise.

    Natalia, ohh, I hope my feet don't start to hurt, we'll see. I think a lot of what I think about shoes is psychological! I've heard of Karhus (Finnish, right?), but I've never seen them.

    Jamie, The store is amazing! I highly recommend it to anyone who plans on taking a running vacation in Barcelona.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes they are.....and the idea is not unlike that governing Newtons. I adore Paavo Nurmi, so I went with the Finns, otherwise I might have tried the Newtons too......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Scarlett! I wear Brooks Addiction. I did once go to a neutral shoe w/ inserts, but I prefer having a little stability. Although, I have played with the idea of getting nike frees or vibrams to build my arch strength.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa! He sounds like a shoe wizard! What a wonderful resource to have there in BCN!

    I wore men's shoes in high school for a while, but my feet shrunk 1.5 sizes when I was in college, and since then women's have been a better fit for me - or at least I think they have.

    ReplyDelete