Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Goose Eggs & Scaredy Cats

Yes, I’ve just recorded a big fat zero in the running log today because a) I’m exhausted b) I’ve got a throbbing blue toe again and c) tomorrow I have an 11-miler planned and I want to be feeling good. I’m trying to figure out why my toes get bruised in Barcelona, but not in Baltimore. Strange, because it’s hot in both places and, while I try to stay on grass or asphalt, I end up running on sidewalks sometimes in both cities as well. Perhaps my feet are more swollen here after a day of work and walking around the city…Anyway, I’m just going to take some more Tylenol and hope for the best. Dr Sheehan--way back in 1978--already delivered the bad news: "Is your second toe longer than your first toe? If so and you are an athlete you are in for trouble" (Running and Being, p.134).

One of my goals for this fall is to run in the mornings, before work, so that I have evenings free to write and cook, or maybe even hang out with friends or get some of my thesis done. However, that’s going to take some real discipline and a big change in routine and my basic bioritmos. I’m used to getting up at 8 and going to bed around 2 am, and in order to do these morning runs I’ll have to be up and at ‘em by 6 at the latest. Also, I’m scared of the morning dark! In the States, running in the morning seems safer to me, but here I actually feel safer at night. In Barcie, there are lots of runners out at 10 pm, but at 6:30 or 7 in the morning, in my neighborhood, it’s just me, the trash men, a few tired prostitutes and their creepy clients. Hopefully, they’ll just go about their business and I’ll go about mine.

When do you run? Are you scared of the dark? Or perhaps of lonely trails in the country? Running on trails scares the bee-jesus out of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment